I shot this video on a whim postWOD (after my "workout of the day") so please don't judge my sweaty and unkempt appearance. :P
Friends have been asking me to teach them how to exercise their core for "bikini-worthy" abs, admittedly, I'm not a 100% there yet, but this routine has given me the fastest results I've ever gotten through a workout...I noticed a difference in just a month from doing it regularly (about 2-3x/week).
What's best about this routine is that you can do it at home with minimal equipment necessary.
All you need is a jump rope, medicine ball, if you don't have one, you can also use a dumbell (10-15lbs.) or a weight plate.
Okay, let's get started...
First you want to do a quick cardio to get your heart rate up and get the sweat + fats going...do this by performing at least 150 single unders with your jump rope or a total of 3 minutes time. If you have the stamina to do 5 minutes then by all means, go for it! :)
If you don't own a jump rope or don't have the space to do it, then substitute with high jumps instead.
Once you're done, take a sip of water and start your routine.
For the "Ultimate CrossFit Core Workout" you'll have to complete 30 reps of these movements:
- CrossFit Sit-Ups - unlike regular sit-ups, the CrossFit sit-up utilizes a long arm swing for ultimate ab engagement. Do 30 of these. Begin by lying flat on your back with your legs spread out and feet together then swing up to touch the floor beyond your toes:
- Russian Twist - sit down with your legs raised and swing your medicine ball or dumbell or weight plate from side to side. Do 30 reps for each side.
- Knees To Chest - balance on your medicine ball (if you don't have one, try whatever ball you might have :P), and then use your legs to roll it towards your chest. Do 30 reps.
|knees to chest for abs|
- Superman - the easiest movement of all...lie flat on your chest then raise your arms and legs simultaneously. Do 30 reps.
- Leg Raise - place your palms (facing down) under your butt and raise your legs and as high as you can off the ground or you can also reach for your toes with the your hands. Do 30 reps
Here's a quick video I shot so you can check the movements in action:
For maximum effectivity, make sure to watch what you eat (abs won't show if there's a thick layer of fat covering it :P), perform the exercises as fast as possible and do cardio as much as you can to burn off water and fat.
If you don't get results right away, don't be discouraged. We all progress differently depending on our body type. Some take longer than others but if you put in the work, you will definitely see results sooner rather than later. :)
BUT if you want guaranteed results in a short period of time + access to more specialized training, join the next batch for CrossFit 101 at CrossFit Greenhills beginning this August 2014!
For more info, contact the numbers below:
or visit their website at www.crossfitgreenhills.com and