Powered by Blogger.

2 cents on cdr-king

Thursday, January 9, 2014

I started going to CDR-King when I was in high school/college to buy recordable cd's. They were super cheap as compared to branded blank discs from other stores.

Through the years, they slowly expanded into other merchandise and it became a habit of mine to pick up whatever techy needs I might have while stocking up on my usual supply of cd's.

Although burning music cd's are already somewhat passe, heading first to CDR-King when looking for a cheap gadget has already become a habit.

But it's a habit that's going to change starting today.

These are things I've noticed for quite sometime but it's only today that it's been finally etched into my conscious mind.

Here's why.

I headed to V-Mall earlier today to purchase a new toy...a remote for my DSLR. First stop was CDR-King.

Okay, what I hate most about that store is that they make you pick a number even if there's no one else around. They strictly won't entertain you until your number is called. In the meantime, you stand around the store dumbly, pretending to look around for other disposable technology from China. When they finally call your number, you're met, most often times, by some of the most arrogant sales people in the country.

But you know, we take it because we think we're getting a great deal...way cheaper than what we would be paying  in other stores.

Not anymore. Not only are they not as complete as we'd like to think, they're also sometimes more expensive.

I paid 3x more for a stylus before. 

Anyway, back to the remote. I was looking for a standard generic remote like this one:


All they had was a wired remote with an extremely short cable that they were selling to me for around P280 (if I remember right), and a huge one for P680 (which I believe has its own IR receiver?). About wired remotes, they shouldn't even sell those. Why would you want a visible dangling wire in your photo? And it's so short, what can you shoot with it? Selfies?

Bottomline, CDR-King just isn't what it used to be anymore. I'd rather give profit to small shop owners. 

ps. They should seriously train their staff to be a lot more courteous and accommodating.

No comments:

Post a Comment