Powered by Blogger.

dove beauty patch

Sunday, April 20, 2014

A patch that makes you beautiful?

I am part of the millions who get terribly annoyed at those persistent commercials that play before every video on YouTube. I often wait impatiently for 5 seconds to click the "skip ad"option.

New advertisements often rotate weekly and last week it was the Dove Patches film which was in heavy rotation.

Yes, I skipped it numerous times until one day, while busy doing something else, I neglected to do so and just let it play on. Something caught my ear and my eyes shifted to the screen. I watched it in full length and was surprised to find tears in my eyes by the end of the 4 minute mark.

Just like in our Dove summit (see here) where we were asked to strip off all make-up and do a photoshoot, the Dove patches video was created to let millions of women realize that Beauty is definitely just a State of Mind. That most often than not, we are most critical of ourselves and fail to see what others see in us.


The experiment was guided by psychologist and New York Times best-selling author, Dr. Ann Kearney-Cooke (Ph.D., Counseling Psychology) who has spent thirty years conducting scientific research around women’s body image and self-esteem.

During the experiment, the participants were asked to wear a custom-made “beauty patch” for two weeks, which - would help them feel more beautiful.  The women were then invited to keep a personal account of their life-changing experience throughout the two week period. All the women agreed that wearing the “beauty patch” helped to improve their self-esteem and to change their personal lives in ways that they had not imagined.

At the end of the experiment, however, it is revealed that the “beauty patch” contained nothing and that the power of believing in their own beauty influenced feeling beautiful.

The result is powerful and I doubt if it doesn't trigger a tear or two for you either.


Dove invites all women to create a world where beauty is a source of confidence, not anxiety. When women look and feel their best, they feel happier, and Dove believes it is important for women to see the beauty in themselves so that they can inspire the next generation.  In the Philippines, only 7% of Filipinas think they are beautiful. Let's all help and change that number by sharing the Dove:Patches video to our loved ones.

A line uttered by one of the women in the video has stuck with me and remains to inspire me daily, I hope it does the same for you:

"I'm beautiful, strong and independent, I can be anyone I want to be."

Be somebody's beauty patch and remind them of how beautiful they are. #RealBeauty #IamBeautiful



No comments:

Post a Comment