Powered by Blogger.

quick and healthy: one pot marinara pasta recipe

Monday, June 9, 2014

Eversince I published my Crossfit Before and After 2 Month Progress post (see HERE), I have been receiving queries regarding my diet. 

Some of you were asking wether I lessened my food intake or if I'm on one of those strict no carb/low carb diets. The answer to both is no. What I did do is switch from white rice to brown rice and adhere to smarter food choices.

It's not just a matter of eating, I had to change my whole outlook on food including the way I shop at the grocery. I concentrate on the fresh goods more and I hardly spend time at the aisles anymore. We've also cut out anything breaded or deep fried plus I've eased up on potatoes (although I still have trouble resisting Potato Corner) and switched to sweet potatoes instead. I also make it a point to stock up on lots of ready to eat salads and fruits as healthy "in-between-meals" snacks. My favorites are bananas, kiwis, avocados and sineguelas.

Okay, so having said all that, I thought I'd take it a step further and share some of my favorite healthy, easy and quick recipes with you in a series called "Quick and Healthy"(cause I am very imaginative like that. :P).

For my first recipe, I'd like to share the easiest and most fuss-free with you.

One Pot Marinara Pasta.


Ingredients:
  • Spaghetti or Linguine (I know I said I've switched to brown everything but I tried gluten-free whole wheat pasta before and it turned to mush, have yet to find a brand that cooks well for me)
  • Cherry Tomatoes (cut in half if large)
  • Fresh Basil
  • Garlic and Onions (chopped/sliced)
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • Salt and Pepper
  • Water
  • Chili Flakes (optional)


Step 1: Assemble everything in a deep pan and pour enough water over it to cover your ingredients (approx. 4 cups), add about 1-2 tbsp of olive oil.


Step 2: Let it boil, simmer and reduce until almost all of the water is gone.



Step 3: Sprinkle some freshly grated Parmesan and Basil Leaves on top and Enjoy!


I love this recipe so much and it is often my go-to for super hectic days when there's not much time to cook. The flavor really seeps into the noodles for a truly satisfying dish. Clean up is also a cinch!

ps. best to buy organic veggies if you can

No comments:

Post a Comment